Habitat Builds and Other Support
First Church’s International Ministry Team has focused on building communities in Central America and the Caribbean through hands-on projects associated with Habitat for Humanity’s Global builds. In addition to building projects, the church supports the micro entrepreneurship initiative and reading group at the Getsemani Community in El Salvador. The team has also supported the contribution of funds to the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) for reconstructing Haiti. Funds for these activities come through sales of coffee, tea, chocolate and other Fair Trade items in Fellowship Hall each Sunday morning.
Getsemaní Community Project
The holistic development project centered in the Getsemaní Community in El Salvador has been a focus for FUMC’s International Ministries team for several years. Click here to read about all that has been accomplished by the many partners involved.
The El Salvador Habitat Build: February 2014
Two teams from FUMC traveled to El Salvador in 2014. A group of ten members and friends worked on a home building project in Ahuachapán in February.
Photos of February group: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eh3lg3wd3vauwm4/AAAIIqjJgegpexby8NwcNw70a?dl=0
In July, a group of college students and young adults returned for more work on home building projects related to the Getsemani Community.
Photos of July group: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.784692078217783&type=1
Other Past Projects Include:
· Habitat Builds in El Salvador in 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
· Build of a Methodist Church in Guanabocoa, Cuba in 2010
Links to Partners
· Habitat for Humanity El Salvador [http://www.habitat.org/intl/lac/62.aspx]
· UMCOR Haiti Earthquake [http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/emergencies/ongoing/haitiearthquake/]
· Wisconsin Conference – United Methodist Church Mission Information and Opportunities [http://www.wisconsinumc.org/missions2007/]
· Wisconsin Volunteers in Mission [http://wisvim.org/]