Getsemaní Community Project Going Strong
The holistic development project centered in the Getsemaní Community in El Salvador is growing! Click here to read an update about all that has been accomplished by the many partners involved - and the many things we plan to do in the next phase.
Habitat Build in El Salvador in February 2013
First United Methodist Church’s International Ministry Team has decided to join Habitat for Humanity of Dane County’s upcoming trip from Madison, WI to El Salvador rather than sponsoring our own trip back to El Salvador in 2013. This trip is part of Habitat Dane County’s new 3-year partnership with Habitat El Salvador.
The trip will be from February 2 to 10, 2013. This group will be constructing Habitat houses in Ahuachapán, El Salvador at or near the Getsemani Community.
There are a limited number of spaces still available for this trip, which will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. The deadline for registering for the trip is November 1, 2012. The estimated trip cost is $2,000, which is all-inclusive, including Habitat fees and donations for building supplies, etc.
Contact John Stolzenberg via the church office for registration details at or 608.256.9061. You can also pick up a copy of the 2013 trip flyer at the Information Desk at church.
First Church continues to support the micro entrepreneurship initiative and reading group at the Getsemani Community.
First Church’s International Ministry Team focuses on building communities in Central America and the Caribbean through hands-on projects. The team also supports the contribution of funds to the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) for reconstructing Haiti. The team is starting a new project to provide educational programs on immigration reform in the United States.
Volunteers are invited to participate with future international projects. The group funds these activities through selling coffee, tea, chocolate and other Fair Trade items in Fellowship Hall on Sunday mornings. Contact (or 608.236.0320) for more information about these programs.
United Methodist Volunteers in Mission project to help construct a house for visiting faculty at the new seminary being built by the Methodist Church in Havana, Cuba (June 2010).
Volunteers are strengthening the Getsemani Community Project in Ahuachapán, El Salvador over the next 3 years through micro entrepreneurship and house construction, in partnership with the community’s leaders, HFH El Salvador, and Myers Park Presbyterian Church, Charlotte, NC.
Click here for the Project’s Blog.
- Getsemani Community Project, Ahuachapan, El Salvador (2011)
- Guanabocoa, Cuba (June 2010) - A team of volunteers from First Church helped members of a Methodist Church construct their new building.
- Habitat For Humanity - El Salvador: Building on Faith Program
- San Jose Vellanueva (2010) - Over Holy Week, First Church joined with Orchard Ridge United Church of Christ to construct a house together.
- San Vicente (2008)
- Ahuachapan (2007)
Links to Partners
- Habitat for Humanity El Salvador [http://www.habitat.org/intl/lac/62.aspx]
- Myers Park Presbyterian Church Salvadorian Relationship Team, Charlotte, NC [http://www.myersparkpres.org/www/docs/10930.3424]
- UMCOR Haiti Earthquake [http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/emergencies/ongoing/haitiearthquake/]
- Wisconsin Conference – United Methodist Church Mission Information and Opportunities [http://www.wisconsinumc.org/missions2007/]
- Wisconsin Volunteers in Mission [http://wisvim.org/]
For more information, contact the church office (608.256.9061) or inquire Sunday mornings at the Information Desk in the Narthex.